Walmart Software Engineer Salary: Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Explore Walmart Software Engineer Salary by job level and location, and compare it with Amazon. Uncover the benefits and delve into the company’s work culture.
Walmart is one of the biggest retail giants globally, but it’s not just about its stores. They’ve embraced technology through Walmart Global Tech, recognizing software engineers’ crucial role in shaping the company’s future.
With a diverse community of over 20,000 associates worldwide, Walmart Global Tech is at the forefront of driving innovation.
Join us as we explore the rewarding pay, attractive employee perks, and vibrant environment that positions Walmart as a top choice for software engineers.
Walmart Software Engineer Salaries by Job Level
Below is a table showcasing the salaries for software engineers at Walmart at different levels. The data is taken from Levels.fyi.
| Level | Level Name | Total | Base | Stock (/yr) | Bonus | | — — — -| — — — — — — — — — — — -| — — — -| — — — -| — — — — — — -| — — — -| | L1 | Software Engineer | $116K | $106K | $9K | $500 | | L2 | Software Engineer II | $112K | $99K | $4K | $9K | | L3 | Software Engineer III | $148K | $120K | $13K | $14K | | L4 | Senior Software Engineer | $199K | $152K | $28K | $18K | | L5 | Saff Software Engineer | $249K | $173K | $52K | $25K | | L6 | Principal Software Engineer | $323K | $205K | $78K | $40K |
Level 1 — Software Engineer
As a Software Engineer at Level 1, you can expect a total compensation package of $116,000 annually. The base salary for this role is $106,000, with an additional $9,000 in stock compensation and a $500 bonus.
Moreover, in this entry-level position, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining software applications under the guidance of more experienced engineers.
Level 2 — Software Engineer II
At Level 2, the role of Software Engineer II comes with a total compensation of $112,000 annually. The base salary for this level is $99,000, with $4,000 in stock compensation and a $9,000 bonus.
In addition, Software Engineer II is a mid-level position where you will be expected to take on more complex tasks and contribute to developing software solutions.
Level 3 — Software Engineer III
Software Engineer III at Level 3 will receive a total compensation of $148,000 annually. The base salary for this level is $120,000, with an additional $13,000 in stock compensation and a $14,000 bonus.
At this level, you will have gained significant experience and expertise in software development and will be responsible for leading projects and mentoring junior engineers.
Level 4 — Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineers at Level 4 enjoy a total compensation package of $199,000 annually. The base salary for this level is $152,000, with $28,000 in stock compensation and a $18,000 bonus.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will take on leadership roles, contribute to complex projects, and guide and mentor junior team members.
Level 5 — Staff Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineers at Level 5 enjoy a total compensation package of $249,000 annually. The base salary for this level is $173,000, with $52,000 in stock compensation and a $25,000 bonus.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will drive technical excellence, mentor junior engineers, and collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver innovative solutions.
Level 6 — Principal Software Engineer
Software Engineer III at Level 6 will receive a total compensation of $323,000 annually. The base salary for this level is $205,000, with an additional $78,000 in stock compensation and a $40,000 bonus.
Moreover, you take on a senior technical leadership position in this role. You are responsible for guiding the design and development of critical software projects and providing mentorship to the team to deliver high-impact solutions.
By offering competitive compensation packages at each level, Walmart ensures that software engineers are valued for their expertise and contributions to the company.
Career Progression at Walmart
At Walmart, the career progression for software engineers follows a structured-level system.
As engineers move up the ranks, they experience a salary increase and take on new responsibilities and challenges. Here is a breakdown of the career progression at Walmart:
1. L1: Software Engineer
- Salary increase: From a base salary of $106K to $99K
- New responsibilities: Entry-level software engineering tasks and projects with guidance and supervision from higher-level engineers.
2. L2: Software Engineer II
- Salary increase: From a base salary of $99K to $120K
- New responsibilities: More complex software development tasks, increased autonomy, and limited project leadership opportunities.
3. L3: Software Engineer III
- Salary increase: From a base salary of $120K to $153K
- New responsibilities: Taking ownership of critical projects, leading development teams, and making significant technical contributions to the organization.
4. L4: Senior Software Engineer
- **Salary increase: **From a base salary of $153K to $199K
- New responsibilities: Mentorship, technical leadership, and driving the design and implementation of complex software systems. Senior engineers also play a role in guiding the career development of junior engineers.
5. L5: Staff Software Engineer
- **Salary increase: **From a base salary of $199K to $249K
- New responsibilities: Contributing to and leading essential software development projects while mentoring junior engineers and collaborating with cross-functional teams to deliver innovative solutions.
6. L6: Principal Software Engineer
- **Salary increase: **From a base salary of $249K to $323K
- New responsibilities: The role entails senior technical leadership, guiding critical software projects, and driving innovation across the organization.
Each promotion at Walmart significantly increases base salary, reflecting the engineer’s growing expertise and contribution to the company.
This clear career progression path allows engineers to grow their skills and advance within the organization continuously.
Salary Variations by Location
Regarding Walmart Software Engineer salaries, the numbers can vary depending on the location. Here’s a look at how salaries differ across different locations: | Locations | Average Base Salary | | — — | — — | | San Diego, CA | $169K | | New York, NY | $156K | | San Francisco, CA | $150K | | Boston, MA | $143K | | Seattle, WA | $141K | | Los Angeles, CA | $134K | | Kansas City, MO | $130K | | Washington, DC | $169K | | Chicago, IL | $120K | | Dublin, Ireland | $111K | | San Antonio, TX | $107K | | Dallas, TX | $105K | | Houston, TX | $101K | |Charlotte, NC | $99K | | Austin, TX | $97K |
Source: Interview Query
These are a few examples of how location can impact Walmart Software Engineer salaries.
However, it’s important to note that these variations are influenced by market demand, local economies, and the company’s need to remain competitive in each location.
Top Benefits Offered by Walmart
According toLevel.fyi data, the following are the benefits that Walmarts offers to its employees:
- Health Savings Account (HSA): Walmart contributes $700 annually to employees’ Health Savings Accounts. This account allows individuals to save pre-tax money for medical expenses.
- Maternity Leave: Walmart offers new mothers 10 weeks of paid maternity leave. This benefit helps mothers bond with their newborns and ensures a smooth transition back to work.
- Paternity Leave: New fathers at Walmart are eligible for 6 weeks of paid paternity leave. This benefit supports bonding time with their new child and promotes work-life balance.
- Dental Insurance: Walmart provides dental insurance coverage to its employees. This benefit helps employees maintain oral health by covering preventive and restorative dental treatments.
- Gym Discount: Employees at Walmart enjoy a gym discount as part of their benefits package. This allows them access to fitness facilities at a reduced cost, promoting a healthy lifestyle.
- Health Insurance: Walmart offers comprehensive health insurance to its employees. This coverage includes medical, vision, and prescription benefits, ensuring employees access to quality healthcare.
- Life Insurance: Walmart provides life insurance coverage for its employees. This benefit offers financial protection to employees’ families in the event of their passing.
- PTO (Vacation / Personal Days): Employees at Walmart receive 20 days of paid time off, which can be used for vacations, personal appointments, or other personal reasons.
- Vision Insurance: Walmart offers vision insurance to its employees, covering eye exams and providing discounts on prescription eyewear. This benefit promotes eye health and ensures employees access to necessary vision care.
- Adoption Assistance: Walmart provides financial support to employees adopting a new family member. This benefit includes $5,000 for adoption-related expenses, with an annual maximum of $10,000 and a lifetime maximum of $20,000 per associate.
- 401k: Walmart offers a 401k retirement savings plan with a 100% match on the first 6% of an employee’s base salary. This benefit helps employees save for their future and build long-term financial security.
- Roth 401k: In addition to the traditional 401k, Walmart also offers a Roth 401k option. This allows employees to contribute after-tax dollars towards their retirement savings.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP): Walmart’s ESPP enables employees to contribute up to 15% of their base salary towards purchasing company stock. This benefit allows employees to invest in the company’s success and potentially earn additional income.
- Employee Discount: Employees at Walmart enjoy a 10% discount on eligible purchases made at Walmart stores. This benefit helps employees save money on their everyday shopping needs.
- On-Site Mother’s Room: Walmart provides an on-site mother’s room for employees who are nursing mothers. This private and comfortable space allows mothers to express milk while at work.
- Free Snacks: Walmart employees can access free snacks at work. This perk helps keep employees energized and satisfied throughout their workday.
- Gym On-Site: Walmart offers an on-site gym facility to its employees. This makes it convenient for employees to maintain an active lifestyle and prioritize their fitness.
- Company Phones: Walmart provides company phones to employees who require them for work purposes. This benefit ensures effective communication and accessibility for employees.
- Bikes on Campus: Walmart promotes sustainable transportation by offering bikes on campus for employees to use. This benefit encourages employees to choose eco-friendly commuting options.
- Accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance: Walmart offers AD&D insurance coverage to its employees. This benefit provides financial protection for accidental death or serious injury due to an accident.
- Sabbatical: Walmart allows employees to take a sabbatical. This extended time off will enable employees to recharge, pursue personal interests, or focus on professional development.
- Pet Insurance: Walmart offers pet insurance coverage to its employees. This benefit helps employees care for their furry companions and provides financial assistance for veterinary expenses.
- Sick Time: Employees at Walmart receive paid sick time to take care of their health or their dependents’ health. This benefit ensures employees can prioritize their well-being when needed.
- Employee Credit: Walmart provides employee credit options to its employees. This benefit allows employees to access credit for personal expenses and emergencies.
- Learning and Development: Walmart offers learning and development opportunities to its employees. This includes training programs, workshops, and resources to enhance employees’ skills and knowledge.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Walmart supports employees’ educational pursuits through tuition reimbursement. This benefit provides financial assistance for eligible employees who wish to further their education.
- Disability Insurance: Walmart offers disability insurance coverage to its employees. This benefit provides income replacement in the event of a non-work-related disability.
- Remote Work: Walmart provides remote work options to its employees, allowing flexibility in where and how they work.
(Note: The benefits mentioned above are based on data from levels.fyi, a reliable source for salary and benefit information.)
Working Culture at Walmart
Let’s take a closer look at the data provided by the Comparably regarding Walmart’s working culture:
The above table indicates room for improvement in creating an organization’s positive and inclusive culture.
By addressing these areas of improvement, Walmart can further enhance its working culture and create an environment where employees feel supported, engaged, and valued.
Salary Comparison: Walmart vs Amazon
When it comes to the salary of a Software Engineer, it is essential to consider the compensation offered by different companies.
Below is a table showcasing the salary data for Software Engineers at Amazon and Walmart :
| Level Name | Walmart | Amazon | | — — — — — — — — — -| — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — | — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — -| | L1 | $116K | $167K | | L2 | $112K | $246K | | L3 | $148K | $376K | | L4 | $199K | $526K | | L5 | $249K | $1.02M |
Please note that the levels at each company might not be directly comparable, and a precise mapping between them might not exist.
For further comparison, you can refer to the source data from Levels.fyi, which provides a comprehensive overview of salary ranges for Software Engineers at Amazon.
Nonetheless, it’s essential to consider that compensation is influenced by various factors such as experience, skills, and location. But, this comparison can give you an idea of the average salary range for a Software Engineer at Walmart and Amazon.
Q. How much do Software Engineers make at Walmart?
The salary for Software Engineers at Walmart varies based on their level and experience. The entry-level Software Engineer (L1) earns a total compensation of $116K. On the other hand, the highest-paid Software Engineers (L6) at Walmart, known as Principal Software Engineers, make a total compensation of $323K.
Q. What is the average salary at Walmart for Software Engineers?
The average salary for Software Engineers at Walmart is $143,500 annually. However, it’s important to note that the compensation can vary based on factors such as experience, location, and level within the company.
Q. What is the highest salary for a Software Engineer at Walmart?
“The highest salary offered as a Software Engineer at Walmart is $323,000 annually. This salary is for individuals at the L6 level, the principal software engineer level.”
Q. What are the most common skills required as a Software Engineer at Walmart?
Q. How much does an entry-level Software Engineer make at Walmart?
“Entry-level Software Engineers at Walmart, at the L1 level, can expect a total compensation of $116,000 annually. This includes a base salary of $106,000, $9,000 in stock per year, and a $500 bonus.”
Walmart offers its software engineers competitive salaries, recognizing their pivotal role in shaping the company’s technological landscape.
The company’s commitment to employee well-being and career development is evident in its comprehensive employee-centric benefits and positive work culture.
If you want to join a company that values work-life balance and offers competitive compensation, consider exploring the latest software engineering job opening at 4 Day Week.