Oracle Software Engineer Salary: Pay Scale, Benefits & More
Discover the Oracle Software Engineer salary range, benefits, and culture. Compare with IBM. Learn about locations, skills, education, and total compensation.
Oracle, with an estimated 210,000 employees, stands as one of the world’s largest computer technology companies.
This raises an intriguing question for those considering a career within its prominent ranks: Do Oracle software engineers receive competitive compensation?
Worry not; we are here to provide you with all the answers you seek.
So, let’s dive into software engineer salaries at Oracle, exploring the factors that influence them, such as experience levels, job roles, and geographical locations.
Oracle Software Engineer Salary by Level
According to levels.fyi, Oracle offers competitive salaries to their software engineers. Below is a table of the salary ranges for each level.
| Level | Level name | Total | Base | Stock (/yr) | Bonus | | — — — | — — — — — — — — — — -| — — — — | — — — — | — — — — — — | — — — | | IC-1 | Entry Level/Associate| $140,000 | $108,000 | $30,000 | $3,000| | IC-2 | Member of Technical Staff | $159,000 | $124,000 | $33,000 | $2,000 | | IC-3 | Senior MTS | $242,000 | $158,000 | $80,000 | $4,000| | IC-4 | Principal MTS | $293,000 | $177,000 | $115,000 | $1,000| | IC-5 | Consulting MTS | $343,000 | $195,000 | $146,000 | $2,000| | IC-6 | Architect MTS | $655,000 | $260,000 | $383,000 | $11,000|
IC-1 Entry Level/Associate
The entry-level role at Oracle is a great opportunity for recent graduates and those looking to start a career in software engineering. The role involves working on small projects and contributing to larger projects.
Moreover, the compensation package for this level is very competitive, with a total compensation package of $140,000, including a base salary of $108,000, stock worth $30,000 per year, and a bonus of $3,000.
IC-2 Member of Technical Staff
The Member of Technical Staff (MTS) role at Oracle is tailored for software engineers with some experience in the field. Their role involves working on larger projects and leading small teams.
Oracle offers a highly competitive compensation package for this level with a total value of $159,000. This includes a base salary of $124,000, stock worth $33,000 per year, and an additional bonus of $2,000.
IC-3 Senior MTS
The Senior MTS role at Oracle is crafted for software engineers with high experience and expertise in the field. Their duty is to lead large teams and contribute to the development of complex products.
The compensation package for this level is very competitive, with a total compensation package of $242,000, including a base salary of $158,000, stock worth $80,000 per year, and a bonus of $4,000.
IC-4 Principal MTS
The Principal MTS role at Oracle is designed for software engineers with extensive experience and expertise in the field. The role involves leading the development of complex products and providing technical guidance to other engineers.
Oracle offers a highly competitive compensation package for the Principal MTS level, amounting to $293,000. This comprehensive package encompasses a base salary of $177,000, annual stock valued at $115,000, and an additional bonus of $1,000.
IC-5 Consulting MTS
The Consulting MTS role at Oracle is tailored for software engineers with a wealth of experience and expertise in the field. As a Consulting MTS, they play a pivotal role in providing technical guidance and expertise, contributing to developing cutting-edge products, and leveraging experience to drive innovation and success.
The compensation package for this level is very competitive, with a total compensation package of $343,000, including a base salary of $195,000, stock worth $146,000 per year, and a bonus of $2,000.
The Architect role at Oracle is designed for software engineers with significant experience in the field, specifically focusing on architectural design and strategic planning.
The role involves designing the architecture of complex systems, providing technical leadership, and driving strategic decision-making for product development.
Additionally, the compensation package for this role is exceptionally competitive, offering a total compensation of $655,000. This package includes a base salary of $260,000, an annual stock allocation valued at $383,000, and a bonus of $11,000.
Career Progression at Oracle: Differences Between Levels
Oracle offers a clear career progression path for Software Engineers as they move up the levels. Here’s a summary of what you can expect in terms of promotions, salary increases, and new responsibilities:
- IC-1 (Entry Level): This level is ideal for recent graduates or those with less than two years of experience. At IC-1, you can expect a base salary of $108K, with total compensation of $140K. You will be responsible for working on teams, developing and testing code, and attending training sessions and workshops.
- IC-2 (Member of Technical Staff): After attaining experience and demonstrating your technical skills, you may be promoted to IC-2. You can expect a base salary of $124K at this level, with total compensation of $159K. Your new responsibilities will include working independently, mentoring new team members, and leading small projects.
- IC-3 (Senior MTS): At IC-3, Software Engineers are responsible for developing complex solutions within a product or solution family. With a base salary of $158K and total compensation of $242K, you can expect a significant increase in your pay. Your new responsibilities will include leading design and architectural discussions, mentoring junior team members, and contributing to designing new features.
- IC-4 (Principal MTS): The highest level for Software Engineers at Oracle is IC-4. With a base salary of $177K and total compensation of $293K, you can expect to lead complex projects and teams. Your new responsibilities will include developing and implementing complex solutions, leading technical discussions, and mentoring senior Software Engineers.
As you progress within Oracle, you can expect to be offered additional benefits such as more vacation time, better healthcare, and a customized workstation.
Salary Variation by Location
Oracle Software Engineer salaries vary depending on the location of the role. Here’s how the salaries differ across various locations:
- San Francisco: The average salary for a Software Engineer at Oracle in San Francisco is higher than the national average.
- Seattle: The compensation package for a Software Engineer at Oracle in Seattle is on par with the national average.
- New York: The average salary for a Software Engineer at Oracle in New York is slightly higher than the national average.
- Austin: Oracle Software Engineers in Austin earn salaries slightly below the national average.
- Boston: The compensation package for a Software Engineer at Oracle in Boston is on par with the national average.
However, keep in mind that these numbers are just averages and may vary depending on the candidate’s skills, education, and experience. Therefore, it’s always a good idea to do a thorough search and comparison before accepting a job offer.
Also, Oracle offers excellent benefits and perks such as unlimited PTO, medical, dental, and vision healthcare, tuition reimbursement, relocation bonus, and much more.
Top Benefits Offered by Oracle
Oracle is known to offer competitive benefits to its employees. Here are the top benefits offered by the company, according to Levels.fyi:
- Healthcare: Oracle offers comprehensive healthcare benefits that include dental, vision, and medical insurance. The company provides a health savings account (HSA) that varies depending on the employee’s salary. In addition, the company also offers disability insurance.
- Unlimited PTO: Oracle offers its employees unlimited paid time off (PTO). This allows employees to take time off work without worrying about the number of vacation days remaining.
- 401k Matching: Oracle offers a 401k plan that matches 50% of the first 6% of an employee’s base salary. The maximum match per year is $5,100, and the plan vests after four years, with 25% vesting annually.
- Relocation Bonus: Oracle offers a $10,000 relocation bonus to help new hires settle in their new location.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP): Oracle’s ESPP allows employees to contribute up to 10% of their base salary and provides a 5% discount on the stock purchase price.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Oracle offers tuition reimbursement of up to $5,250 per year for approved programs of study.
- Pet-Friendly Workplace: Dogs are welcome at Oracle, making it an excellent choice for pet owners.
- Remote Work: Oracle offers remote work options to its employees, especially relevant in the current environment.
- Sick Time: Oracle offers unlimited sick time to its employees, allowing them to take time off when they are ill or injured.
- Mother’s Room: Oracle offers an on-site mother’s room, making it easier for new mothers to continue working while caring for their newborns.
It’s worth noting that this list is not exhaustive, and Oracle offers many other benefits to its employees.
This table is courtesy of 6figr.com
Working Culture at Oracle
A company’s work-life balance, happiness, and culture score can make or break an employee’s experience, and ultimately, their decision to stay with a company.
According to the Comparably data, Oracle’s work-life balance receives a B+ rating from employees in the engineering and design departments. However, other departments such as marketing and operations received lower ratings, with marketing receiving a D+.
The happiness rating at Oracle also varies by department, with engineering and design receiving a C rating, and sales receiving a C+. However, the culture score across all departments is consistently low, receiving a D rating.
It’s important to note that working culture is subjective and varies from individual to individual.
But the company’s size could influence the low culture score rating, as Oracle is a large corporation with over 210,000 employees. This number may correlate with a sense of bureaucracy and limited upward mobility within the company.
Overall, Oracle’s work-life balance is commendable in some departments, but there is room for improvement in terms of culture across all departments.
Oracle vs. IBM Software Engineer Salaries Comparison
When it comes to choosing a company to work for, one of the most important factors to consider is salary. Here, we compare the salaries for software engineers at IBM and Oracle, two of the biggest tech companies in the world.
Oracle Salaries Overview
At Oracle, the base salary for an entry-level software engineer (IC-1) is $108K with a total compensation of $140K, according to company data. In contrast, the highest level (IC-4) software engineer can earn up to $177K in base salary and $293K in total compensation.
Moreover, Oracle also offers numerous benefits like unlimited sick time, a health savings account, and a pet-friendly workplace, which can make a real difference in the long run.
IBM Salaries Overview
On the other hand, according to levels.fyi IBM offers a slightly lower base salary for entry-level software engineers (Associate Engineer, Band 6) at $115K but with a total compensation of $116K. Whereas the highest level (Band 9) software engineer can earn up to $201K in base salary and $231K in total compensation.
Additionally, IBM also provides benefits such as 401k match, health insurance, and tuition reimbursement for approved programs of study.
In short, Oracle seems to be the clear winner when it comes to higher salaries for software engineers. Still, it’s important to note that compensation can vary greatly depending on the location, skills, and education of the individual.
This table is courtesy of levels.fyi
Q. How much do Software Engineers make at Oracle?
A. The salary for Software Engineers at Oracle varies by level. According to the company’s salary data, an entry-level IC-1 Software Engineer at Oracle can expect a total compensation of $140K annually, which breaks down to a base salary of $108K, stock options worth $30K per year, and a bonus of $3K. Senior MTS IC-3 Software Engineers can expect a total compensation of $242K, while Principal MTS IC-4 Software Engineers can expect a total compensation of $293K.
Q. What is the average salary for Software Engineers at Oracle?
A. The average salary for Software Engineers at Oracle varies depending on the level. According to the company’s salary data, the average salary for an entry-level IC-1 Software Engineer is $140K per year, while the average salary for a Principal MTS IC-4 Software Engineer is $293K.
Q. What is the highest salary offered as a Software Engineer at Oracle?
A. The highest salary offered to a Software Engineer at Oracle is for the Principal MTS IC-4 level, with a total compensation package of $293K annually. This includes a base salary of $177K, stock options worth $115K per year, and a bonus of $1K.
Q. What are the most common skills required as a Software Engineer at Oracle?
A. The skills required for Software Engineers at Oracle vary depending on the job level. However, some common skills across all levels include proficiency in programming languages like Java, C++, Python, and SQL and experience with software development methodologies such as Agile and Scrum. Additionally, experience with cloud computing, big data technologies, and machine learning can be beneficial.
Q. How much does an entry-level Software Engineer make at Oracle?
A. An entry-level Software Engineer at Oracle, at the IC-1 level, can expect a total compensation package of $140K per year. This includes a base salary of $108K, stock options worth $30K per year, and a bonus of $3K.
Being an Oracle software engineer may be a lucrative career path for those who possess the necessary skills and education. When comparing Oracle to its competitors, the company’s compensation and benefits package is highly competitive.
While searching for a job, it is essential to consider the total compensation package, including salary, benefits, and location as by doing so, you can make an informed decision.
Moreover, if you are interested in pursuing a software engineering career with 4 day week then make sure to check out our current job openings.