Nike Software Engineer Salary: Compensation, Benefits & Work Culture
Uncover the Nike Software Engineer salary, benefits, work-life balance, and how it compares to industry standards. Get ahead in your career!
Nike, one of the leading giants in the world of sportswear and athletic gear, continues to stride ahead in innovation and its commitment to its workforce.
With a global team of approximately 83,700, Nike’s dedication to attracting top talent is evident.
Join us as we explore Nike Software Engineer salaries, providing an insider’s view on pay and benefits that make Nike a sought-after employer in the tech industry.
Comprehensive Breakdown of Nike Software Engineer Salaries
Nike software engineers’ salaries vary across levels, reflecting the responsibilities and expertise required at each stage.
Here’s a glimpse into the salary structure at Nike, sourced from Levels.fyi.
| Level | Level Name | Total Compensation | Base Salary | Stock(/yr) | Bonus | | — — | — — | — — | — — | — — | — — | | SWE I | L Band | $121K | $115K | $15 | $6K | | SWE II | U Band | $157K | $147K | $0 | $10K | | SWE III | V Band | $153K | $139K | $375 | $14K | | Senior SWE | W Band | $176K | $152K | $9K | $13K | | Tech Lead Software Engineer | | $206K | $189K | $0K | $17K | | Principal Engineer | E Band | $312K | $230K | $44K | $38K |
SWE I — L Band
At the entry level, a Nike software engineer in the L Band earns a total compensation of $123K. The base salary is $117K, with additional perks in the form of stocks and bonuses adding up to $19K.
SWE II — U Band
As the second level in the hierarchy, software engineers in the U Band have a higher total compensation of $155K. The base salary is $146K, supplemented by a $9K bonus.
SWE III — V Band
In the V Band level, software engineers earn $153K. The base salary is $139K, and an additional $389K from stock and bonus compensation.
Senior SWE — W Band
Senior software engineers, classified in the W Band, have a total compensation of $180K. This includes a base salary of $160K, stock compensation, and a bonus.
Tech Lead Software Engineer
At this level, software engineers earn a total of $206K. The base salary is $189K, and a bonus of $17K.
Principal Engineer — E Band
In the E Band level, software engineers earn $312K. The base salary is $230K, an additional $44K from stock, and a $38K bonus compensation.
Career Path and Salary Progression at Nike
Nike offers an attractive career path for software engineers with competitive remuneration packages. Let’s break down the different levels and the salary changes you could expect with each promotion.
- SWE I, L Band: This is the entry-level position where engineers earn a total compensation of $123K annually. The focus at this level is on developing skills and gaining experience.
- SWE II, U Band: With promotion to this level, the total compensation increases to $155K annually. The responsibilities grow in this role, requiring engineers to tackle complex problems and provide robust solutions.
- SWE III: The salary increment continues at this level with a total pay of $153K annually. Responsibilities include leading projects and mentoring junior team members.
- Senior SWE: The pinnacle of the career path is the Senior Software Engineer position. The total compensation at this level is $176K per year. Senior engineers own projects, contribute to strategic decisions, and lead teams.
- Tech Lead Software Engineer: The total compensation at this level is $206K per year. Responsible for guiding and overseeing software development teams to deliver high-quality solutions and lead technical initiatives.
- Principal Engineer: In this role, the total compensation is $312,000 per year. A Principal Engineer is a senior technical leader who drives innovation and shapes the company’s technology direction.
Salary Variations by Location
Let’s dissect the variation in salaries across various locations:
| Location | Average Base Salary | | — — | — — | | New York, NY | $201K | | San Francisco, CA | $200K | | Boston, MA | $180K | | Kalamazoo, MI | $165K | | Seattle, WA | $155K | | Portland, OR | $142K | | Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers Area, AR | $140K | | Minneapolis-St. Paul Area | $100K | | Omaha, NE| $100K | | Shenzhen, China | $94K |
Source: Interview Query
Nonetheless, it’s crucial to remember that salary figures may vary; this is just a broad summary.
It’s recommended to perform in-depth research, considering the cost of living, benefits, and other aspects when evaluating job opportunities in different regions.
Top 10 Benefits at Nike
- Employee Assistance Program — A comprehensive program supporting employees in various life aspects.
- Accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance — A unique insurance benefit offered to ensure the welfare of the employee’s family.
- Health Insurance — Complete medical coverage to ensure the employee’s health and wellness.
- On-Site Fitness Classes — Keeping up with its reputation in sports, Nike offers on-site fitness classes.
- PTO (Vacation / Personal Days) — Generous paid time off to promote work-life balance.
- 401k — With a 100% match on the first 5% of base salary, Nike ensures a secure future for its employees.
- Tuition Reimbursement — Nike supports continued education by reimbursing tuition fees.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP) — Allowing contributions up to 10% of base salary with a 15% discount on the purchase price of the stock.
- Gym/Wellness Reimbursement — Encouraging a healthy lifestyle with gym and wellness reimbursements.
- Relocation Bonus — Nike supports employees in their move with a generous relocation bonus.
Navigating Nike’s Work Culture
Nike has a work culture that’s as dynamic as its offerings. To offer an unbiased perspective, we’ve drawn insights from Comparably.
| Department | Work Life Balance | Happiness | Culture Score | | — -| — -| — -| — -| | Engineering | A- | B | C+ | | Sales | A- | A+ | A+ | | Design | C+ | B | B+ | | Marketing | C- | A+ | A | | Product | D- | C+ | C+ | | Operations | F | B | C+ |
Nike’s sales department stands out with an impressive ‘A+’ in work-life balance and happiness and a shining ‘A+’ in culture score. This could be attributed to Nike’s sales division’s rewarding compensation and well-defined growth paths.
On the other hand, the Operations department faces challenges with work-life balance, scoring an ‘F’. Possible reasons could include demanding supply chain management tasks or irregular working hours prevalent in retail operations.
Even with the occasional speed bumps, Nike’s work culture continues to attract talent, thanks to its focus on employee wellness and commitment to fostering a rewarding work environment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How much do Software Engineers make at Nike?
Software Engineers at Nike have a tiered compensation system based on their level. The salary ranges from an average of $121K for a Software Engineer I to $312K for a Principal Software Engineer.
Q. What is the average salary at Nike?
The average salary for a Software Engineer at Nike ranges from $123K to $312K, depending on the level of expertise.
Q. What is the highest salary for a Software Engineer at Nike?
The highest salary offered to a Software Engineer at Nike is $312K for the Principal Software Engineer position.
Q. What are the most common skills required as a Software Engineer at Nike?
The skills required for a Software Engineer at Nike are problem-solving, programming (in languages such as Java, C++, and Python), software development, and knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
Q. How much does an entry-level Software Engineer make at Nike?
An entry-level Software Engineer at Nike, categorized as Software Engineer I, earns an average total compensation of $121K.
In summary, Nike stands out by providing its software engineers attractive benefits and competitive salaries.
If you’re seeking a job prioritizing work-life balance, check out the opportunities at 4 Day Week.
Explore our current job listings to discover the ideal position that matches your skills, or visit our career path section to gain valuable insights and expert advice for achieving success in your professional journey.